Friday, September 4, 2009

5 days AFO FREE!!

I can't quite believe it myself as my AFO's were supposed to be the last thing (if ever!) to stay and remind me of the last few months.

It started gradually - taking my first steps...oh melodramatic Milney. It didn’t happen like that at all.

The bloody expensive carbon fibre AFO’s started to rub and leave marks on my feet. These marks would not go away and the pain just intensified. I showed Rod. He was concerned as these pressure spots could easily break the skin and then I would be in trouble. So he suggested walking around my “..house and immediate environment with caution..” without AFO’s but in shoes.
Of course this just gave me the confidence to push it a little further. I went 2 straight days without them. I couldn’t walk far but managed breakfast and dinner dates with friends and generally, as long as I didn’t have to walk too far – I was fine!

I am now at least 5 days AFO free.

With a giant leap forward – you can’t help but totter a little bit backwards. It’s fatiguing. I’ve needed my sleep this week (10+ hours) but WOW.

The AFO’s really tighten up my calf muscles which in turn fight against the improvement of the dorsie flexion. Going calf naked has helped my muscles loosen up a little and so I have noticed an increase in the range I can dorsie flex.

I am back to my full time job, I am well rested and taking good care of myself. I didn’t mind as the season officially changed as I also had a spring in my step!

3 comments:

  1. Well Done Rachael Remember like british Summer Time Spring forward don't fall back. love you mum xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I do love a British proverb...MUCF X

    ReplyDelete
  3. kick ball change, kick ball change running man running man here you come!!!!!!!!! x n-a-t

    ReplyDelete